Loading...
img

History The Rathwood District was predominantly agricultural until the establishment of the village of Dixie in the mid 1800s. The village, centred on the intersection of Dixie Road and Burnhamthorpe Road East, served as a service centre to the surrounding farms and orchards. As other more prosperous centres grew, Dixie declined and it’s focus became more localized. The area was originally planned for agricultural, residential, park and open space and commercial uses in the Official Plan for the Township of Toronto Planning Area approved in 1953. From the 1950s through the 1970s residential and retail commercial Burnhamthorpe Road East. This intersection now includes places of religious assembly, a district shopping centre, high density residential housing, office uses and a nearby library. expansion and parks development completed most of the community. The Etobicoke Creek serves as the easterly boundary of the district. It is the most significant natural feature within the area with a well-defined valley system and forested banks supporting migratory coldwater and warmwater fish habitat. The Rathwood district is now a mature residential community with a broad mix of low, medium and high density housing types. It is well served by numerous community parks and the focal point in the district continues to be centred on Dixie Road